Monday, June 16, 2008

Shots :(

Reagan went in for her year check up (I know...a few weeks late!). She looked adorable and they thought she was the cutest thing. Somebody said she looked like Cindy Lou Who with her hair in her bow. She weighed in at 22 lbs 8 oz and is 29 inches long. She's growing up! She was happy and content until the dreaded shots. She got 3 of them. One of them is the MMR which is the shot that many people think cause Autism. I've already had this talk with our doctor when Kaden got the shot. She is a firm believer, with years and years of research, that this shot does NOT cause Autism. It just so happens that when these kids get the shot, it is the same time that many children are developing many new skills (linguistically, socially, emotionally, etc.). So, many people mistake them not developing "normally" with the shot. I asked, "Shouldn't I be able to tell NOW if Reagan were to have Autism?" Her response was basically yes because she wouldn't be reaching for strangers like she did with the doctor and talking to them like she does. She did say that many people argue the vaccination has thimerosal (ethylmercury) and this is the link to autism. However, this has be removed from the vaccination. Now, I'm not writing this to start some debate. I trust my doctor and am confident that she would not lead me to something that would harm my babies. I am not the one to decide whether or not MMR causes pervasive developmental disorders (PDD), such as autism and Asperger syndrome. Like I said, I trust my doctor and even more, I trust the Lord and know it is all in His hands.

So, now, back to Reagan. She cried right away and by the 3rd shot, she was screaming. When I picked her up to comfort her, her thumb went straight to her mouth and her head was on my shoulder. Poor baby. I don't care how many times you go through this, it never gets easier. I hate seeing my babies hurt. After the shots, she did great. She had a wonderful day with mommy. It was just me and her. We even had a lovely experience in my car. When I was leaving the doctor, I put the car in reverse. Now my car is 10 years old. She has been wonderful to me. I am so thankful that my dad bought it for me and I've never made a payment on it. It's been nice! However, she's starting to struggle. Some days it takes a few times to get her started. I usually just have problems getting it started and that's it. Not today though. It died when I was backing up. My first reaction of course is to panic. I immediately have a million thoughts running through my head. Some of these thoughts were: Who am I going to call to come get us? I'm going to have to call Wade. It will take him forever to get to us. My car is stuck here in the aisle and I'm going to get ran over. I'll put this into neutral and "cruise" back to my spot (this requires pushing and there's no way!). It's so hot outside and I may possibly melt. How embarrassing is this? Seriously, I'm sure there were a million more things. This was within maybe 15 seconds. So I took a deep breath, put the car back into park and started her back up. We were then on our merry way. Wade always tells me I panic too soon. I guess this was the case!

Well, I meant for this to be a quick 5 minute blog and it has now turned into a ridiculous amount of babble. Oh well. So, my short story was "Reagan got her shots today". It just expanded a little much! :)

1 comments:

Kahla said...

Ugh, I HATE shots! I can't believe she is a year already, it goes entirely too fast! If you need company for appointments or just to hang out, give us a call... we'll be around!