Monday, June 23, 2008

Mays Clinic

Today we're at the Mays Clinic at MD Anderson. It's really no different from the main building...just newer. You have to take a sky bridge across in a little golf cart like trolley thing. You could walk it and matter of fact, when it was first built Wade and I thought we could walk it no problem. It was a lot longer than you'd think. One night Wade and his mom were here late and the carts were closed. Therefore they had to walk. Nice!! It would be a nice place to walk for those of you who choose to walk during your lunch break.

Anyway, this building has 2 floor for patients doing chemo. It's just like a hospital room...bed and all. It is also the place where many breast cancer patients come. Today was the first time I had been to the place where you give blood. It was much nicer and calmer. That is one thing they strive for here...some type of peace and tranquility with dim lights and comfy chairs (though I think they took all the comfy chairs for the waiting rooms and left horrible chairs in the rooms...but not complaining). So there are many more women in this building. They are all so very different. Some with beautiful wigs, hats, bandannas and even some that shield their entire bodies because of religious beliefs or customs. So, so many women and again all so different. Many come with girlfriends, sisters and the ones you see the most are their husbands. It always makes me sad. More today than ever. Something about today just got me going. I kept tearing up and thinking about what their stories must be. I can only imagine. Some are wore down. Others appear upbeat. One man was talking to a doctor when his wife walked out visibly upset. She had been crying. Makes me wonder if she just got some bad news.

It just plain sucks to see all of these people struggling to live. Where all of these people can seem so different in so many ways, they are are similar and all here for the same reason. To live. And the sisters, daughters, friends, husbands, and wives...they're living it too. They are the cheerleaders and support group who fight to stay upbeat and optimistic with a constant smile on the face no matter what. I just can't help but always wonder the story for all. I can't help but cry inside when I see babies fighting for life. I can't help but feel pain for all of the people who limp in pain, who carry an oxygen tank for breath and who fight for all they have. I can't help but smile at each one that passes me or sits next to me. I can't help but think these people, including my husband, are the strongest people I know. They are my heroes in so many ways. Heroes I don't even know.

0 comments: