Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Prayers Needed

My mom is currently at the St. Luke's of The Woodlands emergency room. Over the last few months she has been having quite a bit of bleeding and becomes light headed very easily. She has the weird craving for ice. Anytime I would talk to her on the phone she would be chomping away. She said she woke up in the middle of night "needing" ice.

Because her legs and ankles began to swell and because of the severe pain she has been having, she went to the doctor. Long story short...they found out she was anemic, was ordered to have an ultrasound and then was off to see her OB. After reviewing the ultrasound, they found a couple fibroid tumors and thickening of the uterine wall. The doctor said she felt the bleeding was not coming from the fibroid tumors but from this thickening. It is possible that it is a polyp (sp?). They then had to do a uterine biopsy which is extremely painful. Just imagine a vacuum like thing going somewhere you don't really want it to and then sucking out stuff (sorry if I have grossed you out). So now she waits for the results to make sure this is not cancerous. I pray, pray, pray this is not the case.

So, the OB told her if she had fever, heavy bleeding, etc. she needed to call. Well, of course this happens. My dad called at 4:00 and said he was taking her to the ER. When I got there, she was okay. They took her back right away and got her hooked up to an IV. She had 102.8 fever, was extremely dizzy, in horrible pain, and throwing up.

I left around 9:30 or so. She had an ultrasound and they were waiting to hear from the doctors. She was doing a little better. They had given her pain meds and had fluids running through her. So now I wait and pray all is well. I mean seriously, I'm getting a little sick of being in the hospital.

Did I mention my brother broke his kneecap at the emergency room last week? He was taking his son Jordan to the ER (for what turned out to be bronchitis) and the hospital had a leak in the ceiling. While holding Jordan, he slipped on the water and fell weird to keep Jordan from getting hurt. Nice. So he's now in a soft cast for 8 weeks. If he moves it the wrong way at all he will have to have surgery.

So, lots of prayers needed this way.

1 comments:

Kahla said...

Oh my gosh! I will be saying lots of prayers that your mom is ok, I can only imagine how scary this must be. :o( I will also say some for your brother... ouch! Keep us posted!

Hugs,
Kahla