Sunday, October 3, 2010

Finally...An Update

I'm not sure why I take so long to update on here. Well, I take that back. I get behind and then it gives me a little anxiety to think of all of the things I wanted to post and how it's taken me so long to post them. I have some amazing pictures that I want to share and I just get lazy. There is nothing more I want to do than post pictures of my beautiful family and all of the exciting things we do. So that's what I'm going to do. I will be posting pictures from random events. And just to give a little update on Wade. He just finished his 20th treatment of chemo. It's hard to believe he's had that many treatments. He's really doing good. We have not gotten an update just yet. He will have to do one more treatment before they do the CT scans, MRIs, etc. We had an amazing summer and received even better news over the summer. When we were prepared for Wade to go in to do more chemo (after 2 months of no chemo), his tests showed that ALL of the tumors were shrinking. There's always been one that grows and the others are just there to be annoying. The smaller ones have NEVER shrunk (is this even a word!?!?). But this time they did!!! We literally had already made plans for Wade to go to the hospital and then we got this news. We couldn't have been more thrilled. Plus, a couple of months ago, the bigger tumor grew and he WAS doing chemo. So to hear that ALL tumors were shrinking WITHOUT chemo was a miracle.

When he went in September 1st, they found that the largest tumor grew just a tad. The doctor said that chemo is the best thing in order to stay on top of it. We definitely don't want things to get out of control. Wade started his 20th round started September 15th. To me, he did better than he EVER has. He was in the hospital for 9 days. A lot of people always ask why he stays in the hospital when he does chemo. Most people go in, get the chemo drugs and then go home. For Wade, that has always been too hard. His drugs are extremely powerful and they cause him to become extremely toxic (hallucinating, strange dreams, etc.). He also has what they call steroid induced diabetes. When he is doing chemo, he is given insulin to keep his sugar down. It spikes really high if not. When he is home, not doing chemo, he does not need the insulin at all. So this is why he stays. It is EXTREMELY hard on everybody, especially the kids (and Wade more of course). But it is what's best for him and that's what matters.

The 1st day he was out, he told me, "I feel like I haven't even done chemo!". I could even tell that he was doing better than ever. When I visited him the last day in the hospital, he was awake the entire time and even got up to walk around. Usually he stays in bed and hardly says a word. A couple of days of being out of the hospital the chemo caught up to him. He was very tired and slept quite a bit. Come to find out, his phosphorus and sodium bicarbonate were real low. They gave him some medicine and it's getting a little better. Overall, he's doing great! I'm so very proud of him. Even with these few setbacks, to me, he's doing better than he ever has. He will be starting more chemo October 12th. We are so very blessed to have so many people who are praying for Wade. So many people ask me how he's doing on a daily basis and it truly means the world to us that so many people care for him and our family. We coudln't do this without our friends, family and of course our Lord and Savior.

Don't forget to come back and check out the pictures...I will post soon. I'm going to get out first and enjoy this BEAUTIFUL weather with my amazing babies!

2 comments:

Pam Roberts said...

The teachers and staff at Maplebrook are praying for you and your family!

Katie Baker said...

Thank you so much Pam! This really and truly means so much to us. We know that without a doubt we couldn't do this without prayers. The rest is in the hands of our Great Physician! Bless you!!!