Thursday, October 16, 2008

Rain, Rain Go Away!

So yesterday I went to pick up the kids from our babysitter's house in Spring. When I left work I almost went home to use the restroom real quick and to get some sippy cups for the kids. But for some reason, I turned around and decided to head on and get them. At the time it was barely sprinkling. So I get them and we start to head home about 5:00. I went south on the Hardy Toll Road, exited at Beltway 8 and stayed on the feeder until after JFK. I decided not to get on the Beltway yet because it was so backed up. The weather was a little bad at this time. It just started lightening and thundering, but nothing too serious. So I finally got on the Beltway and as I reached the ramp to get onto 59, I freaked! It was raining so hard I could barely see. I was hydroplaning all over the place. As I am exiting, I am seeing cars on the feeder going through a ridiculous amount of water. I'm even more nervous now. I can barely see where to go and I find myself in the super high water. So I get to Rankin and turn right. I notice a few cars in front of me have on their flashers. One car is just sitting there. I start to back up to go under the over pass and "wait" it out, but there were cars behind me and I could barely see. So I decide to keep going straight. The water was sooooo high. I am following another car and at this point my hands are shaking. The car in front of me stops. I am yelling (like they could hear me) for the car to move. I don't know if it was in my head or if it was really like this, but I felt like my car was lighter and on the edge of floating. I was just waiting for water to come in my car. All I can think about is the kids and wanting to keep them safe. I finally make it to the railroad tracks and see cars struggling to get much further. I turn into a neighborhood and then quickly turn into some stranger's driveway. The car that was behind me kept going straight through the neighborhood and stalled. I am watching car after car try to get through this water. The water was halfway or more up these trucks. My car NEVER would have made it. I had no idea what the bayou looked like and was scared to even attempt to keep going. I sat there for 2 hours. Wade couldn't get to us because our neighborhood was flooded and really his car is almost as low as mine. The house next to ours had water in the garage and two houses down the road had water up to their houses. It was crazy. So speaking of crazy, I talk to my dad and he decides to come get us. I did not want him getting out in the mess. I'm sure he was thinking I was crazy because he said it was barely sprinkling at their house. We wait patiently. The kids did pretty good under the cirumstances. Thank goodness Kaden loves lightening. Reagan was a little antsy towards the end. They both drank a water bottle that I had from work. Of course they both wet their diapers. The lightening and thunder got a little ridiculous though. It would strike and then instantly thunder.

So Dad, Mom and Casey call and say they are there. They had to park way away from us and walk to us. As they are walking to us, a car turned and began driving down the sidewalk. It was crazy. So Dad takes Reagan to the truck and then comes back for Kaden. Reagan acted a little strange and unsure of things and Kaden was just Kaden. Mom said as they were sitting there, a van opened up its doors and water poured out! So sad! We finally made it home! I know Wade was relieved to see us. I'm glad it was us stuck and not him with the kids. I would have been a nervous wreck. I'm also so glad that he came home from work early. He was supposed to go back that night but obviously he could not get out.

Remember how I said I almost turned to wait it out under the overpass? Well, I am so thankful I didn't go that way. On the 10:00 news they showed that exact spot and all of the cars that were on an "island". I wouldn't doubt it if water got up there too.

So, we are safe and sound and that's what counts. I am thankful my babies made it home safe to their daddy and that my parents came to save us.

0 comments: