Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Disappointing

Wade went to the doctor today for the results from his scans. Unfortunately, all of the tumors have grown. The biggest one grew 1 cm and the other four tumors grew just a bit. Enough to be annoying and cause the doctors to look to other options. They feel that possibly Wade has become immune in a way to the Ifosfamide. They will now start him on Adriamycin (AKA "The Red Devil"). This was the first chemo he had ever received back in 2003. When he did it then, he would do at least 3 or 4 days back and forth from the hospital to home. He would also have a little backpack that continuously pumped non-stop all those days. For now though, they are choosing to only do one day of it and then home he goes. He will come back the next day for a a Neulasta shot (see www.neulasta.com/patient/howcanhelp/how_canhelp.html for more info on this). Of course he will continue to do blood work 3 times a week, but other than that, he wouldn't do anymore treatment for 21 days. So the good news is that he does not have to be admitted into the hospital. The bad news is that the last time Wade did this chemo, he had a really hard time (hence the nickname "red devil"). However, we're hoping because it's only one day, it will be a little different. So this is definitely not news we hoped for, but we are continuing to pray, pray, pray!!! He will begin this new round of chemo on Monday.

For a little background on Wade and his cancer go to www.mylifeaskatiebaker.blogspot.com/2009/09/heres-approximate-timeline-of-events.html. And if anybody knows how to insert a one word link, feel free to let me know!! I haven't quite figured that out! :) Lots of love to you all!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Katie-
I have never met a stronger woman than you. i can't imagine what you're going through, but I know that you can through even the toughest of things. You have such a good head on your shoulders, a strong faith, and such a positive attitude. Please keep that up!!! I know we aren't very close but if you ever need any ear to listen or a shoulder to cry on, please call on me. I respect you so much so I know that you're amazing enough to get through this. I pray for you all the time and hope that things get better.

Karen

Katie Baker said...

Thank you sooo much Karen! This means the world to me. I try to be tough most times, but I definitely have my moments. It's friends like you and many prayers that keep me going. You made me smile!!! Lots of hugs to you!!! :)

Unknown said...

No need to thank me. I should be thanking you, because I aspire to be as positive and as strong as you. You've strengthened me more than you can imagine.

K

The Lukefahrs said...

Thanks for the update, Katie. I'm so sorry to hear y'all didn't get the news you were praying for. We've been thinking about you guys and praying for y'all, and will keep doing so! Love you!
PS - Kaden and Reagan are such beautiful, happy children! I can't believe he is already 5!

Kahla said...

We are sending prayers constantly and know that next time will be better news, God is good and will come through. Let us know if ya'll need anything, we need to get together more! Love you all!!!