Sunday, March 14, 2010

Teacher of the Year!!!

So as my week started, on Monday, I was told I was nominated for Teacher of the Year. At that point, I had no idea how many people were nominated. For all I knew, it could've been 20 people. I was told to write "Why I Became a Teacher" and have it in the next day. If I can, I'll attach this on here somehow. Anyways, the voting started Tuesday afternoon and then all day Wednesday. I also found out it was me and three other amazing teachers. So there were only four!! I was already honored just to be nominated. I knew in the past that the "Teacher of the Year" was always surprised by his or her family Friday morning. So I also knew that if I would be receiving this award, my family would have found out at some point on Thursday. So of course, I was on to their every little move.

My mom was real short with me on the phone. Wade didn't ask one thing about what was going on. He didn't ask if I was nervous, if I thought I had a chance...nothing. I was also trying on clothes (which by the way I haven't been able to wear in 2 years) and he didn't once ask why I was doing that. I was a little thrown off when he asked if I could take the kids to the babysitter's Friday morning. This isn't anything out of the norm...we switch off taking and picking up depending on our schedules. When he told me I was taking the kids, I was a little bummed because then I knew the kids wouldn't be there so I was pretty sure at that point that I wouldn't be the TOY (for short). I was bummed, but okay too. Again, just being nominated was beyond any of my expectations.

So Friday morning came. Wade helped me get the kids ready to go and I was out the door. I got to school and for the most part, it was a normal day. I say that because we were going on a field trip that day and that always makes for a crazy morning. We were called down to the cafeteria at 7:45 with all of the kids where we anxiously waited for the news.

First, the paraprofessional of the year was announced. Ali Delavina was our para of the year. She's super! I was so happy for her. Then I knew what was next. I was sooo nervous. One girl, who was in my first class that I ever taught and who is now in 5th grade, was standing with me. She was more nervous than I was. Our TOY from last year got up and began talking.

He was unbelievably nice. The second he started talking about my personal struggles outside of school I had a hunch. Then he started talking about a situation that had happened just the day before. Long story short...when I was walking 2 classes out to recess, a girl tripped and feel head first into the corner of the wall. He came out of classroom and helped her to the nurse. It was such a horrible noise and I was so worried about that little girl. Anyways, he brought that up and then I knew and began to cry.

When they called my name, I walked up on the stage and the curtain opened. There behind the curtain was Wade, his mom, my parents, brothers, grandparents and aunt. I couldn't believe they were all there. I was so excited. It was such a great moment!

I am so incredibly blessed that I was rewarded doing something I truly love. I have such an amazing staff that I get to see everyday. I am very fortunate to have such great friends and family that support me and my every move. I am very thankful and honored that I was chosen to be our Teacher of the Year and I was so happy that my family was able to be there with me. It was a great ending to my week and beginning of my Spring Break!!!!

Here are pictures of my flowers that I received.




Here's what I wrote...

Why you chose to become a teacher:

I chose to become a teacher because I really and truly feel that I was meant to make a difference in the lives of children who are less fortunate. I’ve always had that feeling deep down that I was destined to do what I do. I never had a second option. This is my one and only true love and I can’t imagine my life any different. Having my students hug me, tell me they love me and learn in ways that never seize to amaze me reaffirms my love for teaching. Teaching is not just about learning to count and knowing your letters. It’s about making a difference in each child’s life and helping them have a positive outlook in their lives now and in the future. I chose to become a teacher so I could make children feel successful, loved and in turn become a respectful citizen. Nothing makes me happier than to hear a student say, “One day I’m going to be a teacher just like you.” I smile and say, “I once had that dream and my dream came true. Your dream can come true if you give your all and try your hardest.”

Other:

As a teacher, it is my goal to enhance student learning. I am to provide students with meaningful learning experiences that will last forever in their minds. The ultimate goal is for me to help these students develop intellectually, emotionally, socially and physically. Not one of these should be overlooked.

I aim to promote student responsibility for learning and inspire children to find ways to contribute to the class. In a classroom, the environment should be set up in a way that tells stories. One should be able to walk into a room and immediately see the community that has developed through the students. It should be stimulating and respectful of diverse views and experiences. Not one child is like another. This is the best way for children to learn from one another. It is a wonderful teachable moment that prevails every single day. Children tend to learn best from one another and as a facilitator, it is up to me to find ways to enhance this learning. Providing children with a diverse environment will open their minds to the surroundings all around them.

The students are the number one priority to any teacher. In order to make this a success, the teacher must develop meaningful relationships outside the classroom. Team members, principals, and other staff members are an important part of a teacher’s life. It is important to remain positive, understanding and open to others in the group. A support group is vital to any success.

Teaching is a privileged position. It is about hearts and minds and changing lives for all those involved in the process. It is important to make a daily effort to grow and become your best. As a teacher, I will continually grow and become a life-long learner. Not only will I teach my students, but my students will constantly be teaching me new things.

1 comments:

Kahla said...

Congratulations!